Welcome, Guest!
Academic Paper Services - The Insider News    

Forum / General Talk18

Is duplichecker.com any good?

jinny1 1 | 2  
Nov 14, 2010 | #1
Does anybody have opinions on this plagiarism checker?
shikss 1 | 3  
Nov 14, 2010 | #2
its definitely not 100% reliable
Angelina2008 - | 1   Freelance Writer
May 03, 2012 | #3
I am an essay writer and have been using it for many years, it has alexa rank of 30K that means a lot of people are visiting and using this site. The best thing about this site is that it is 100% free to use.

And i can see people giving its reference on top sites like ehow.
pheelyks  
May 03, 2012 | #4
top sites like ehow.

ehow is a top site like your mother is top hooker

oh, wait....

All of the "free plagiarism scanners" are ways of collecting your essays to resell them. Don't use them, period.
rogerafrance - | 2   Freelance Writer
Dec 22, 2016 | #5
It returns a good rate of plagiarism detection and offers the ability for users to check content for plagiarism through copy and paste or by uploading a .doc or .txt file
Major 33 | 1,239 ☆☆☆  
Dec 22, 2016 | #6
Whenever a student uploads their copyrighted essay to check it for plagiarism, they risk their copyrighted essay to be used without authorization and for free by the service (it applies especially to checkers not based in the US or UK, but there are maybe only a couple of those out there).
FreelanceWriter   5 | 1,207 ☆☆☆   Freelance Writer
Dec 22, 2016 | #7
Which ones do you consider trustworthy and accurate?
Major 33 | 1,239 ☆☆☆  
Dec 22, 2016 | #8
I personally don't use any (except for search engine queries using keywords between quotation marks) because the risks are far greater than the potential benefits. Here is some very useful comparison - https://essayscam.org/truth-plagiarism-detection-tools/
StudioWriter ✐  - | 5   Freelance Writer
Dec 23, 2016 | #9
A company I used to work with have developed a plagiarism tool and I know for a fact that they would save the submitted content (I doubt they informed their customers about that).
ProfessorVerb ✐  26 | 719 ☆☆   Freelance Writer
Dec 29, 2016 | #10
I've had several clients send me "plagiarism" reports over the years after submitting their work to TurnItIn and its ilk. By and large, these reports are not only useless without careful review, they can do more harm than good.

The similarity index and originality report generated by TurnItIn (and others I suspect) tend to create the impression in the minds of many students that a paper has been, for example, "25% plagiarized" because of a 25% match rate, even though the rate may include common phrases, the titles of books, articles, laws, etc., as well as references and tabular material.*

I would suspect that, depending on the sensitivity level selected, even a 100% original paper without any quotations at all will likely generate a percentage match rate at some level given the billions of papers and other online sources that are included in the comparisons. Although TurnItIn warns that these match rates are just a source for further investigation if educators feel it is warranted, some students (and even educators) simply assume that match rate equals plagiarism.

*Ironically, I once received a direct plagiarism match from TurnItIn on a term paper about "plagiarism in college" that contained the legal definition of "plagiarism" provided by Black's Law Dictionary.
Member, Editorial Freelancers Association. If you have a couple of dollars, please support the Fisher House Foundation. Thanks!
Yeti - | 10   Student
Jan 17, 2017 | #11
Such tools are useless. All my essays always show 30% because I use quotations and they may catch very common phrases like 'Thank you very much.' I'm now persuaded like it's presented on this forum that plagiarism tools only collect student essays and publish them under a different way to make money on ads and such.
Jan 18, 2017 | #12
If you want an accurate and useful scan, it would simply be common sense to remove any direct quotes (together with your in-text citations and Reference page) before scanning your work. Obviously, practically any source you cite will already have been used and cited many times by others before you. If you're scanning someone else's work, you'd also want to scan the Reference page separately, just to make sure the whole list of sources hasn't been recycled.
Yeti - | 10   Student
Jan 18, 2017 | #13
You may know that a 10-page research paper may contains lots of quotes; same the bibliography page. It's not easy to remove quotes (some may be single and other double). If I had to remove quotes manually, I'd be faster taking random excerpts and search for them in google. Your advice is not very reasonable, I'm sorry.
Jan 18, 2017 | #14
You may know that a 10-page research paper may contains lots of quotes

You, apparently, do not know that the vast majority of 10-pg research papers don't actually need even a single direct quote, let alone "lots" of quotes. Quoting text verbatim is a crutch used by students and very inexperienced writers instead of paraphrasing in your own words and citing appropriately. Students often use quotes mainly to cut down how much they actually have to write, or because they think that all research papers are "supposed" to have "lots" of quotes. Unless there's something very important about the specific wording of the original source, verbatim quotes are usually totally unnecessary. "Lots" of quotes throughout an ordinary 10-pg project would be an obvious indication that the writer doesn't really know what he's doing or doesn't think that he can fill the word-count without them.

It's not easy to remove quotes (some may be single and other double). If I had to remove quotes manually, I'd be faster taking random excerpts and search for them in google.

Your keyboard has all sorts of neat little buttons on it with letters and symbols on them. Hitting two of them in the right combination allows you to highlight any text you want to delete and then hitting one other button allows you to delete all that text you just highlighted. If you're interested in doing a plagiarism scan in the first place, that's exactly how you get an accurate scan. If you have so many quotes that deleting them to scan your paper is really that difficult, let me suggest that scanning issues might be the least of your problems.
Yeti - | 10   Student
Jan 19, 2017 | #15
Our teachers advice students not to paraphrase too much because they don't cite it properly. I hope academic writers don't steal ideas too. I've never written a research paper without a Reference page, but you may be from a traditional school of research and can do a 10 page research paper without a bibliography page.
Jan 19, 2017 | #16
Here's a quick free lesson for you: Whether you quote verbatim or just present those ideas from the source in your own words, you still have to cite it as the source. Let me suggest again that if you don't even understand something that basic about academic writing, you should be reading this forum to learn about these kinds of things and to ask questions instead of arguing about things you obviously know very close to nothing about.

I've never written a research paper without a Reference page, but you may be from a traditional school of research and can do a 10 page research paper without a bibliography page.

Maybe reading comprehension isn't exactly your strong suit, either. Try to follow along and I'll help you:

The topic of discussion here is the accuracy of plagiarism scanners. I've explained that if you want to use them accurately, you have to delete your Reference page and your quotes and your citations before you do the scan so that the only thing being scanned for plagiarism is the actual writing and not anything that's already understood not to be written originally in your essay.

Nobody's suggesting that you don't need a Reference page or Bibliography. After you scan the copy with all of your quotes, citations, and sources deleted, you delete that copy of your work and you go back to your saved file that (presumably) you were smart enough to save before deleting all that stuff. Then, if it's a project that someone else wrote for you, scan only the Reference page to make sure that particular list of sources is also original in that combination. Nobody's suggesting that you permanently delete the rest of your project and submit only the Bibliography, either.

Understand now?
Yeti - | 10   Student
Jan 19, 2017 | #17
Ok I have to consult with my professional teacher who is paid by the state if I don't have to use bibliography page in all papers - it would be much easier to me :)
Jan 19, 2017 | #18
First, you should probably ask someone who reads English better than you do to explain what I wrote.
Extremely experienced and honest writer with a law degree located in NYC: NYCFreelanceWriter "dot"com

Forum / General Talk / Is duplichecker.com any good?