Welcome, Guest!
Academic Paper Services - The Insider News    

Forum / Writing Careers8

A competitor 'stole' my writing ad?

ProfessorVerb ✐  26 | 719 ☆☆   Freelance Writer
May 04, 2017 | #1
Since this is a "featured" company and is exempt from normal rules of acceptable behavior, I expect my post to be deleted before it gets cold but I have to report that Prescott Papers has just blatantly stolen my ad material as follows.

In a sea of uncertainty, you can pick a writer or essay company at random and hope for the best, or you can contact [spam] and expect the best. I've been a full-time academic writer for more than [spam]. With a subscription to Questia, EBSCO access and two late-night writing dogs who are committed to excellence, I'm ready to help you with any type of academic essay, report and dissertation.

If your topic is out of my league, I'll refer to you other academic writers I know to be honest and dependable or the best essay company in the business.

Remember: "I write it right with all my might!"

I'll count the seconds until this disappears. You guys should be ashamed.
Major 33 | 1,239 ☆☆☆  
May 04, 2017 | #2
I hope it stays - because something fishy's going on. Where did you find the material was posted? I found several results of the 'stolen' text, but it appears it was stolen by some Kenyan freelancers: google.com/search?q=%22In+a+sea+of+uncertainty%2C+you+can+pick+a+writer+or+essay+company%22 - where did you find this text on Prescott's website (or maybe in some other marketing materials)?
OP ProfessorVerb ✐  26 | 719 ☆☆   Freelance Writer
May 04, 2017 | #3
Hi Major. Glad you weighed in.

I have found identical text on several Web sites besides Prescott Papers but I'm not sure what to do about it (imitation and flattery notwithstanding). I've contacted each company and requested they remove the offensive language but to date none have replied. The specific reference to Prescott Papers appears here: reddit.co/r/PaperMarket/comments/3eghvn/essay_and_dissertation_writing_service/

I think it's also noteworthy that my original ad that appeared on essaychat.com about 8-10 years ago with this text has since been deleted, although all my others seem to be intact. You're right -- something shady is taking place and I'm getting the shady end of it.
Major 33 | 1,239 ☆☆☆  
May 04, 2017 | #4
The text has definitely been stolen, but the link doesn't seem to prove it was the 'Prescotts' - I feel it's some Kenyan writer (check the poster's username: Currilus, probably not associated with a real writing service).
PrescottPapers - | 8   Company Representative
May 04, 2017 | #5
Hey,

That post has literally nothing to do with Prescott Papers. The text was used by some Reddit user: /user/Currilus

It does not mention Prescott Papers, it does not link to Prescott Papers, it has no reference to Prescott Papers, and it is by an account that has nothing to do with Prescott Papers.

Am not sure how or why Prescott Papers is being brought into this. We do happen to be a moderator on the form on which that post was made. It should be noted that post was removed also removed and that the user who made it was also banned.

I see that you've also contacted the moderator chat on the forum. Here are two comments from the other moderators that explain this situation:

From Moderator #1:
Your blame on r/PaperMarket is unfounded, as this subreddit is neither affiliated with, nor endorses any particular service/s. Though the mods intend to keep away dodgy services, we do not check every vendor post for originality. As the poster's account has already been deleted, we are deleting the post.

From Moderator #2:
Hello,

This is a subreddit where random users are allowed to post. Further more, we saw you accuse Prescott Papers of plagiarizing the quote on ES. Prescott Papers doesn't appear to be involved with the quote, and we aren't sure why you assumed it was them. The user posted that close to a year ago and no longer has an account.

Suggestion for Approaching This
You will have to contact whoever is in fact using your text, which is not us. As Major mentioned, it looks like this is some random freelancer overseas, which means that you're probably out of luck.

You should also note that if you run a service of any real size, people will steal your content. Almost every one of the 700+ pages on the Prescott Papers website has been visited by a bot made by hackers, spammers, and/or other similar people. Basically all of our content has also been stolen by other services.

Anyway, if there is anything else that you'd like to ask us about anything, let us know.
May 04, 2017 | #6
Au contraire. Prescott Papers is featured prominently in the links on this page with my verbiage. Nice try but I'll be satisfied if you just delete it.
PrescottPapers - | 8   Company Representative
May 05, 2017 | #7
There are no links in that post. It's a post on Reddit, a public forum. There may be links to our service elsewhere on that same forum, or from the sidebar/header/other for the forum (which may be visible on the same page as that post). The sidebar/headers/other are unrelated to the actual post.

Yes, we are a moderator on that forum. It is a public internet forum. Anyone can post there. There are various other services who post on that forum that we are unaffiliated with. If you're unfamiliar with Reddit, I'd be glad to answer any questions that you might have about how that website works. Major, EssayCrate, EssayFolks, and us have all looked at the post and came to the exact same conclusion, which is that this post was made by some freelancer with the username Currilus. We have no affiliation with that person.

If you check the link, you can also see that the post was removed anyway. As mentioned, it's unclear why there would be any reason at all to infer that Prescott Papers is at all affiliated with that user or with your content.

Anyway, if you have any other questions, feel free to get in touch.
May 07, 2017 | #8
it does not link to Prescott Papers,

There are no links i

The offensive material has been deleted. Thanks. I appreciate the professional courtesy. Tellingly, my original post in this forum with this matching text from years ago has also since been deleted.

No links ever existed. It is super unambiguous that we are completely unaffiliated with this freelancer.

Regardless, you're welcome. We're happy to answer any questions you may have, even those that are about other services.
Member, Editorial Freelancers Association. If you have a couple of dollars, please support the Fisher House Foundation. Thanks!

Forum / Writing Careers / A competitor 'stole' my writing ad?