Welcome, Guest!
EssayScam ForumEssayScam.org
Academic Paper Services - The Insider News    

Forum / Writing Careers6

How do writers / essay services deal with customers who try to steal their money?

Major 38 | 1,327 ☆☆☆☆  
Aug 25, 2017 | #1
FreelanceWriter's response in this thread got me wondered, how freelance writers and legitimate writing services should deal with fraudulent transactions or lying customers. What if you were a writer who's completed a 30-page writing order and you receive a notification from Paypal that the charge was not 'authorized' by the buyer or that the buyer claims the order does not meet their academic standards?

How would you typically deal with this situation (especially that you KNOW the customer is not being truthful about the whole situation and that your order has met or exceeded the highest expectations of an academic institution). You risk having the order amount chargebacked (or it has already been chargebacked).. and now what.. Would you allow the customer to have your money 'stolen' this way or perhaps you'd take some actions to try to recover your money?
Smiley73 1 | 212 ☆☆  
Aug 25, 2017 | #2
In my experience related to working for various companies, the company sets a rate of refund for the client, based upon a specific time-frame or degree of accusation regarding the quality of the work. It is something that they set before hand in order to ensure that, in the event of refunds, only a portion of the money will be returned to the client unless, the charge is plagiarism and the accusation can be proven by the student. Knowing that the company functions this way, I would try to apply a similar method as an independent writer. That means, I would already have a set of refund policies to share with the student prior to the finalization of the order. That way, the client and the writer enter into the deal with a full disclosure and refund agreement. As a PayPal "seller", one has the ability to dictate the terms of refunds to the "client". This is something that PayPal takes into consideration when investigating charge back claims. So, if the client is informed beforehand, and PayPal has a copy of my charge back policy, I believe that the money paid to me will not be stolen or, not totally stolen. In the event of a charge back, one can offer evidence to PayPal, via communication with the client, regarding the refund policy that was previously agreed upon. That should help to preserve the money that was paid out to me. Companies expect unreasonable charge backs. That is why they not only overcharge the client for the price of the paper, but they also implement refund rules upon sign up with the service. Independent writers can learn from the company business models and adjust it to suit their needs.
OP Major 38 | 1,327 ☆☆☆☆  
Aug 25, 2017 | #3
What if you lose all the appeals and the money gets refunded to the customer? At this point it's now you against the deceiving customer. Would you still try to recover your money; if so, how?
Smiley73 1 | 212 ☆☆  
Aug 25, 2017 | #4
I would still try to recover it by trying too settle the problem outside of PayPal. If I want to really keep the money, I would contact a lawyer and have him draw up an enforcible electronic contact for me that could be used with all my clients from the moment I started the business. In this line of work, I believe that you should cover the bases and plug the holes before you agree to do any work. This is a work related risk that all independent writers face. As a company based writer, you get to keep some of the pay, even with penalties. An independent writer runs the risk of giving away a free paper. However, I don't think that students would be that dishonest. The whole business is based on trust and honesty. While there may be incidents in the vein of what you described, those cases are few and far between. If it does happen in the manner described, I'll have to chalk it up to experience, dust myself off, and keep going. No sense losing asleep over something I tried to, but could not change.
OP Major 38 | 1,327 ☆☆☆☆  
Aug 25, 2017 | #5
The cost of hiring a lawyer and investigation proceeding would likely be about the same or more as the order amount. If a scammer used a proxy and/or was based in another country, it would add up and the overall cost and such an effort would be prohibitive. Imagine hiring a lawyer in the scammer's country, translate and notarize all documents into the local language, then subpoena their IP and email address (it would probably stop there as it'd be unlikely to get through the subpoena requests).
Smiley73 1 | 212 ☆☆  
Aug 25, 2017 | #6
Then chalk it up to experience and just swallow the loss. It's a no win situation in Paypal, no win situation via legal means, all avenues for keeping even a part of your cash had been blocked. Nowhere to turn, everything to lose. It's a nightmare scenario that may or may not happen.

I'm sure all independent writers have experienced such a or a similar loss at some point in their careers. Make up the loss with your next orders. The duty of preventing a charge back lies with the writer and how he sets up the transaction. One can only prepare so much protection in this case. If the client is shrewed, the writer has to be slick.

If I were involved, I would make sure I have as many PayPal safeguards installed as possible. When all else fails, I can at least say I tried. If the clients also use dummy addresses then it would be difficult to enforce a block from my end. I would not enter into a contract with a defeatist attitude but I would always go in knowing that up to a certain period, the client could still file for a refund and hope it never happens.

Again, that's why working with a company has some benefits in terms of income and refund scenarios in my opinion. Your income, while still subject to fines and refunds, is better protected in a way.

Forum / Writing Careers / How do writers / essay services deal with customers who try to steal their money?